Thursday, September 18, 2008


Continuously translating requirements into code in production fulfilling user expectations


This is a long phrase, but that is the term that I use when I refer to what I am doing as a developer through consultancy. Being a Senior Consultant, my workday consists of much more than just writing code. Although I like to refer to myself as a programmer, just coding won't do it. It is all about coding the right stuff. Avoid coding to much of the wrong stuff, and get the code into production as fast as possible. This is my mission, that is what i want to be good at.

Mary Poppendieck is talking about waste. Waste is pretty much anything that you do in your production line (aka project :-) that does not provide value for customers either directly or indirectly. I just came from a talk where she was talking about how to maximize throughout and how to reduce utilization. It is funny how many metrics not directly related to providing value for customers we have been measured against. It has been a long time since I have have been measured against how many lines of code I produce. Now we are measured using Story Points. This is better but in most cases, far from measuring the right thing. 
The right thing is value for end-users delivered in production, this is what we should measure, or, we should at least know when we provide it :-)



1 comment:

Anne Marie said...

I agree, we should strive to find better ways to measure the value of the systems that we are delivering.

But for day-to-day progress, right now I can't think of a better measure than user story points - provided all your user stories are considered bringing value to the customer, not "technical stories" like refactor class x or upgrade framework y or the likes.